Hilarie
Okay, so I haven't been very consistent with posting this meme, but I am going to do better!

Character MattersWhat makes a great read? Here at Never Not Reading, we think it ultimately depends on great characters. Whether you find yourself loving them, laughing with them (or at them), or even loathing them, a great character can draw you into the story and keep you reading. To celebrate our love of great characters, we are starting a new weekly meme called Character Matters. Each week we will highlight a character that has literally jumped out at us from the pages! If you would like, please join in the fun. Feel free to link to your own character matters in the comments below if there is a character that you simply have to share with us!

A few ground rules:

  1. Who: List the name of the character
  2. Where: List the book(s), and the author
  3. Description: Please keep your description as spoiler free as possible. Ruining the ending of the book might not be the best way to inspire potential readers.
  4. Why: How does this character inspire you?
Rebecca "Becky" Bloomwood

Heroine of The Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella: Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Abroad, Shopaholic Ties the Knot, Shopaholic & Sister, and Shopaholic & Baby

Becky is great at shopping, but often bad at telling the truth. On the upside, her fabrications are usually very creative, and almost always result in laughs later on. She is great under pressure, has an amazing sense of style, and knows how to have fun. She tries hard to be a good friend, even if at times she can be a bit self-absorbed.

I admire Becky's ability to find creative solutions to her problems, although I do believe she could avoid many of those same problems if she wasn't so impulsive. I also wish I had her fashion sense. In real life, Becky is someone I'd love to have lunch with, but I don't know if we would be great friends because integrity is very important to me. I have to admit, I still love reading about her despite her little (sometimes big) white lies, and I really enjoyed the shopaholic series.

I recently watched the movie based on the first book in the series, Confessions of a Shopaholic. Kinsella never really describes Becky's appearance, so I didn't really have any issue with Fisher's appearance, and I thought many of her outfits were just as I pictured when reading the book. I thought Isla Fisher did a good job of capturing Becky's sense of fun and adventure. However, I'm not sure why the film company felt the need to change Becky to an American, and move the setting to New York. If you've read the books, seen the movie, or both I'd love to know what you think of Rebecca Bloomwood.