Hilarie
This morning I read a great article from Book Examiner listing 10 books that every American should read. I've read some of the books on this list, but it has been more than a few years ago. I am embarrassed at times by how limited my knowledge is of American history, and I'm ashamed to say that as a US citizen I have never read the Constitution of the United States of America The challenge is to read all 10 of these books starting now and ending July 4, 2010. If you would like to play along, I'd love to have the company!

10 Books Every American Should Read

1. Common Sense - Thomas Paine
2. 1776 - David McCollough
3. Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation - Joseph J. Ellis
4. The Declaration of Independence: The Words that Made America - Sam Fink
5. Animal Farm - George Orwell
6. 1984 - George Orwell
7. The Star Spangled Banner - Peter Spier
8. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury - Finished July 2009
9. The Constitution of the United States of America - Sam Fink
10. A History of the American People - Paul Johnson

I'm also curious. If you were making your own list, what books would be on it? If you want to join, and substitute for one or two of these books, that is great. If you live in another country, what books would make your list of the 10 most important books that should be read by the people of your nation?