Hilarie
Rating:
Genre:  Fiction, Classics, Horror, Suspense
Reading Challenges:  11 for 100+ in 2009, 1 of 5 for Classics Challenge 2009

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; the words conjure up all sorts of images in my mind, mostly from the theatrical and cinematic depictions I've seen at different times in my life.  I thought I knew the story well, and so I didn't expect to find myself surprised by much in the novel.  How wrong I was!  

The novel is interesting, because there are so many aspects of the story that are left to the imagination of the reader.  Mr. Hyde's appearance, as well as his misdeeds, are never defined in black and white, but are instead only alluded to in a manner that almost makes them more horrifying.  I was also intrigued with the complicated nature of the character of Dr. Jekyll, a man who desires to be seen as an upstanding individual, but is in many ways somewhat fascinated by the evil aspects of his nature.  

I found this to be a great read, and far more thought provoking than I had anticipated.  It is a very short read, around 100 pages, but provides plenty of "meat" for the reader to chew on.  If you haven't taken the opportunity to try this book before, I would recommend it as a very enjoyable read.  This has been a great start to my Classics Reading Challenge for 2008, and has left me thirsting for more! 
5 Responses
  1. Isn't it amazing how they used to write horror stories that were terrifying without being graphic? Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Dracula are two of the scariest books I've ever read despite the lack of gory detail.

    Have fun with the Discworld challenge! There's nothing like spending a Sunday reading Pratchett.


  2. Amanda Says:

    I love this book! It says so much about human nature and good and evil. :)


  3. Bellezza Says:

    I'm so surprised at myself for not reading more of Robert Louis Stevenson. Thanks for the impetus to pick this up! I know I was surprised by Frankenstein and Dracula when I read those a few autumns ago, and I've always been intrigued by Jekyll and Hyde.


  4. Congrats on finishing your first book for the classics challenge! I love a book with a lot of meat! I'm going to fix your link to include your name if you don't mind so it will look like this "Booknut (Dr. Jekyll...)"


  5. Richard Says:

    I read this book when I was a kid along with 1-2 other RL Stevenson novels, but I hardly remember anything about any of them (other than that I enjoyed them greatly). Maybe it's time to revisit them again. Thanks for such an inspiring reminder, Booknut!


Post a Comment

Great comments are the greatest reward!