RunningUtes

Rating:
Genre:  Self Help

In the book, The Power of Less, Leo Babauta discusses and outlines his modified system of getting things done. In part one: the principles, he talks about how “less” is a powerful principle. By setting limits we must choose the essential areas of focus in our life, which allows us to create a greater impact , maximizing our time and energy. We start small and create new habits that with time will allow us to be more productive. In part two: in practice, he gives examples of simplifying one's goals and projects to limit our stress and wastefulness.

Practical tips, like how to simplify e-mail, are used to inspire and motivate the reader. For example, limiting your inboxes, spending less time answering e-mails, reducing your incoming stream, processing your box to empty, and writing less, are discussed and encouraged.

I liked this book and while reading it I referred to the his website located at Zen Habits. There are many recourses on the website that are also discussed in the book. For a nice introduction, check out his beginners guided tour.

I give this book 3 stars because I enjoyed reading, but will probably not refer to it again. Many of the ideas were very repetitive, and halfway through the book, my interest started to wane. I found that I actually read more on the website rather in the book about topics that I found interesting. I would suggest this book to anyone who has tried the Getting Things Done method and found it not to their liking. Also be sure to check out the website Zen Habits for more great tips.