RunningUtes
Rating:
Genre:  Non-Fiction, Statistics, Economics

This is a book by Steven Levitt, an economist who attempts to answer common questions using the laws of statistics and economics. Using these two basic principles he looks at cause-and-effect and their relation to our actual perception of events.  

One section I particularly enjoyed dealt with sumo wrestling. Using statistics Mr. Levitt was able to show that many of the sumo wrestling matches were actually rigged. This allowed for more well-established wrestlers to progress in the hierarchy making more money, but still allow for newcomers in the field to build a following of fans. I also enjoyed how Mr. Levitt spent time with a group of crack dealers and outlined their “business model” complete with a structure of bosses and underlings.  

I would give this book 5 stars because I enjoyed the principals of applying logic to explain entertaining and unique situations. I've already read a few portions of this book again and shared some of the stories with other readers and people that I work with. I have a background in science (biology, chemistry, physics) and really enjoyed the principles of applied economics and statistics. I would recommend this book to anyone who would want a nice quick read on a very interesting topic.