Hilarie
Rating:
Genre: Adult Fiction, Thriller, Mystery
Reading Challenges: 26 for 100+ in 2009

I am a big fan of the Lincoln/Child Penderast novels. They are always fun, full of action, and of course, they feature Agent Pendergast, who happens to be a favorite character of mine. You can learn more about Agent Pendergast here. All that being said, I did enjoy this novel, but not as much as previous offerings from the authors.

Cemetary Dance begins with an attack on a pair of familiar characters (one of my favorite things about these guys, they are never afraid to do away with someone for the sake of the story), William Smithback and Nora Kelly, which leaves Smithback dead. This isn't much of a spoiler as it happens in the first ten pages of the novel. D'Agosta and Pendergast quickly find themselves investigating the case in an effort to protect the bereaved Nora, and to find justice for their murdered friend. Their investigation will lead them to a mysterious religious community located in the forgotten and isolated wilderness of a New York city park; a community which seems to have ties to the mystic beliefs of Obeah. They also find themselves forced to confront the notion of modern day zombiis as the body count mounts.

Personally, I didn't find the mystery as compelling in this novel, as compared to previous story lines. Still, the authors did do a great job of keeping me turning pages. Pendergast was certainly in fine form, and there were plenty of his trademark antics to keep me smiling and anxious for more. The book ended with the promise of more to come, and it is safe to say I'll be running to the bookstore for their next Pendergast novel when it arrives.

If you haven't read a Lincoln/Child novel previously, I'd recommend The Cabinet of Curiosities, which in my opinion is their best.
3 Responses
  1. The title is great! Seems like a good read to me!


  2. Exactly how far does the series fall into Scary? I went and read some of the reviews of Relic on Audible and several people mention the scary factor. I don't do scary very well, but the series intrigues me.


  3. Hilarie Says:

    Relic and Reliquary were sort of high on the scary scale. I do not enjoy horror movies, so those were probably my least favorite of the series. I really enjoyed "The Cabinet of Curiosities" which hovered on the brink of scary, but never really crossed over for me.


Post a Comment

Great comments are the greatest reward!